Fighting Hypocalcemia: A Thyroidectomy Complication

Hypocalcemia means having a very low level of calcium in the body. Calcium is not only important for bone development but for nerve and muscle function as well.

And this is what my hypocalcemia looks like.



How hypocalcemia feels like is a different story. On normal days, my hands or face would simply twitch randomly. But on not-so-good days like the photo above, I can't move my hands properly. My muscles would go stiff, folding my hand involuntarily. I would need to exert some effort just to open my hands or move my fingers. Occasionally, prolonged sitting or trips to the comfort room feel like there are pins and needles all over my feet. I have to move constantly to avoid the traumatizing pain of cramps.

On worse days, I can feel the muscles tighten all the way to my stomach or chest. The worst was when I couldn't open my hands anymore, my were arms stiff, and my lips were pursing. It was as if my muscles were shrinking in, making it difficult to move. I had to be admitted to the hospital before the neuromuscular irritability reached my heart.
 
Because of this complication brought about by my recent thyrodectomy, I have periodic lab tests and check ups to monitor my calcium levels. But since the pandemic began, I haven't gone back to my doctor for a check up. I am not sure if this is going to be a permanent condition given that part/s of my parathyroid gland is no longer there due to the thyrodectomy. It does frustrate me sometimes when it is difficult to open my hand, or type a message in my phone, or even hold a cup.

Nonetheless, I have become accustomed to the frequent tingling sensations in my body, warning me of my alarmingly low levels of calcium. To manage it, aside from my usual dose of vitamin D and calcium carbonate, I supplement my diet with lots of high-calcium milk and calcium rich food. I also try to avoid caffeine since it inhibits calcium absorption. But I can't function without coffee so I would only have one cup per day.

Fighting hypocalcemia is no easy feat. Aside from the physical challenges of it, taking two tabs of calcium carbonate and vit D every day on top of my thyroid hormone medications is not inexpensive.

There's still so much uncertainty about my current condition. But I still hope and pray that my hypocalcemia will just be a passing complication. 

Despite all of my ordeals, I still feel lucky, blessed, and grateful. Lucky - because my worst hypocalcemia episode never happened again. Blessed - because I have enough resources to cover for my current medical needs. And grateful - because I have family and friends who have always been there for me. Their love, prayers, and support has always been my emotional bedrock. ❤️❤️❤️


Comments

  1. Hi Verge,
    I have read your blog before about your condition. You're such fighter and your spirit is inspiring. Always take care! let me send a direct message in Instagram too. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurice! Sorry for the late response. God bless you too 🖤

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao