My Passion for Literary Fiction

Writing stories was my earliest passion as far as I remember. It was probably influenced by my love for reading books and watching anime.

I remember writing my first piece of literary fiction when I was on 6th grade. It was titled 'Sabrina Moonletoon'. It was a plagiarized version of Harry Potter with a few influences from Sailormoon, W.I.T.C.H. and Magic Knights Rayearth. My close friends would read and appreciate it. For a twelve year old, having your work admired by your friends was a huge accomplishment. I also joined our school paper in 6th grade and was the Entertainment Editor. With help from our moderator and my sister, I was able to publish a few articles and was given a certificate of recognition for it.

I continued writing in high school despite the hectic curriculum of our science school. A few friends and a close English teacher read my works. I got constructive criticism which positively helped me do better in writing. I was also enrolled in Journalism and Speech electives which helped me a lot in my writing. I was on the height of my creative writing with more sources of inspiration such as Lord of the Rings, El Filibusterismo and many others. And although I never joined the school paper, I sent them some of my works and one or two were eventually published.

But things changed when I went to college. The stories I began to write were quite long and comprehensive. I was only able to write a lot during weekends and summer. My stories were a working progress that I wasn't able to share it to anyone yet. And although I still felt the urge to write and be creative, the subjects soon weighed down on me and I barely had any time to write. I was only able to contribute a few poems to the university's literary publication. Then when an unfortunate flood washed over our home, my laptop was one of the items that were never repaired. Unfortunately, it contained most, if not all, of my writings that were already up to 500 pages long. I wasn't able to put it in Dropbox or back it up online. I was really heartbroken. But I had to move on as we lost more important things in our home that time.

When I started working, I still tried to continue writing stories. I would start one but wouldn't have the chance to finish them or anything. I somehow lost the passion for it as I began long sleepless nights doing reports and financials. Sometimes, I'm just too tired to think about it.

Eventually, I told myself that I should start blogging. One short entry at a time, I tried to build up my confidence and motivation in writing again. It took me a while to get the hang of it. And after blogging for a while, I knew that I truly missed writing stories.

My work still demands a lot of time right now. But I guess I've grown enough to understand that we should always have time to do the things we love, the things we are passionate about. Life is a balance we have to make. It is a struggle but once we get the hang of it, I believe it's going to be worth it.

And so now, I'll do my best to finally give time to my passion for literary fiction. I will be posting some of my short stories here in my blog. I still wish that I would be able to publish my own book one day. It might take a while to finish it and find a publisher. But good things come to those who wait and persevere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao