17th Shrine Hills X-Challenge: My Experience and Reflections

Last Sunday, June 25, Keen and I ran at the 17th Shrine Hills X-Challenge. I ran the 5K as a beginner and James the 15K.

Keen was a pro in running, having ran 50K last year at Cagayan de Oro City. He helped and convinced me to do this run. After all, it was part of my new year's resolution to run 10K this year. I didn't know what to expect. I knew it was going to be difficult since Shrine Hills-GSIS was no easy terrain, even for Keen. I had mixed emotions before, during, and after the run.

Initially, I was nervous because I had little training. I had my period just before the run so I wasn't able to train properly prior to the event. But I was also excited because this was our first run together as a couple.

The run was difficult for me. As I went past the undulating terrain of Shrine Hills, I contemplated and learned the following lessons.

Don't be pressured: Run at Your Own Pace

Keen's gunstart was earlier than mine by 30 mins. When I finally started at 5:30am, I started running at the similar pace with the other runners. But right after a few minutes, my legs already hurt and I was breathing heavily. That's when I started walking.

I wasn't the only one walking alone. Many of us were left behind by a majority of the runners. But I cannot allow myself to be pressured by the people running ahead of me. Even those who were walking at my pace, eventually started to outrun me. I was also guilty of trying to outrun them. But the competition made no sense. I knew I just had to finish the run without making physical toll on myself. I knew I just had to run at my own pace and that's exactly what I did.

Even in life, we cannot be pressured by the people who move ahead of us. We are faced with different circumstances and opportunities compared to others. We have to live according to our own circumstance, in our own pace and time, to reach our goals without pushing ourselves past the breaking point.

If you can't Run, then Walk! But Never Stop

Keen told me to never stop running except at the stations where you need to grab some water. If I can't run anymore, then just walk. Walk and never stop moving or else I won't be able to recover my pace.

Sometimes we need to slow down in life. We need some time to walk for a while and take a breather. Sometimes, it's the slow moments that allow us to recharge and do better. But by all means, never stop and give up. Keep moving, no matter how many times you slow down, until you reach the finish line.

One Milestone at a Time

At some point, I couldn't understand why I was doing this to myself. But I was already there and I wouldn't want to just give up. After walking uphill for quite some time, I conditioned myself to run again. So as not to tire myself out, I looked ahead and set some milestones. Each house or building was a milestone I had to overcome, whether I had to run for it or brisk walk my way through it. Then I would walk again and set another milestone ahead.

Eventually, before I reached the turnaround point, I realized that I already went past the people who were outrunning me a while ago. I took a quick drink at the station and was energized again. I was able to preserve my energy to finish the rest of the run. I continued finishing more milestones on my way back. I even went past some runners who were already on their way back when I was still going to the turnaround point. When I saw the turning point for the finish line, I was relieved. I made a run for it and finally finished.

My first run after 4-5 years was definitely something I will never forget. The experience and lessons I learned surely pushed me to train more so that I can reach my goal this year. Who knows, I'll probably be able to run my first half marathon next year and a full marathon the year after. One milestone at a time, all for the greater glory of God :)

At the Finish Line



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao