Cleaning Up

I just cleaned my room for four days, the longest and most exhausting room cleanup I've ever done in my life.

I have been lazy and busy for some time due to all the work and activities for the past few months. After my last day of work, I revisited some neglected corners of my room and realized how I have accumulated so many stuff throughout the years. I've been postponing my general cleaning because I knew it would really take some time. Good thing I did because I was able to spare a long time to clean up literally everything. Here are some of the clutter hidden in my tiny room.

Paper Hoarder

I am very much guilty of hoarding a lot of papers. From college notes to book photocopies, I've been keeping them in a box and bag promising myself that I would be sending all of them in a buy-back fair. I was actually able to do this once. I rummaged through my papers and gave them away in a buy-back fair in Abreeza mall. However, that was only 30% of what I had been keeping. I've been keeping a lot of college papers and notebooks because I thought I might be needing them in the future. Years have passed and information is now more accessible and updated in the internet. It was finally time for me to let all of those paper go for recycling.

Too Much Clothes

Through the years I've accumulated so many clothes. Some of them were even donated when we were flooded a few years back. Some clothes were bought out of impulsiveness. I also have a dozen shirts from my organizations back in college. I set aside the ones I am no longer using, some clothes that I could hand down to my younger cousin, and others that needs storing away upstairs to give my cabinets more space. The ones I am no longer wearing but are still useful will be donated in some far flung areas. Those that cannot be used anymore, will be recycled at home as rags.

Boxes and Paper Bags

I don't know why but it seems that I'm not the only girl who keeps a lot of boxes and paper bags. My friends and sister have a lot of them too. I start collecting them, thinking I'll be able to use them for Christmas or other occasions. However, years passed and I was never able to use most of them. I took the boxes along with the papers to be sent to the buy-back fair. The usable paper bags were carefully arranged while others that were too tattered had to be thrown away.

Memorabilia

The world is full of memorabilia. We get them from office events, debuts, weddings, etc. Through time I love keeping them, reminding me of the good times and the people who gave them to me. A few years passed and some memorabilia eventually just become some neglected item in the corner waiting to be cherished again. Eventually, I decided to throw away those that are no longer functional for me. Before I threw some of the memorabilia away, I took a sentimental look at them and realized that some things will be remembered even without the material things attached to those memories.

Pens, Pens and Pens

I love writing which is precisely why I have this blog. But as technology progressed, the need for pens eventually faded. We only need them now for small notes or signatures. I still use some of them for sketching or doodling. But then I just hoarded so many pens in my room  I knew I had to throw some of them even if they were given as gifts or remembrances. I just kept the ones that were still functioning properly.

Less than half of the pens I'm going to use and keep

After all the throwing away, sorting and rearranging, I flipped my bed to clean all the dust underneath. I refolded and rearranged my clothes for a more efficient storage. I returned some occasionally used shoes in their appropriate boxes. I threw away some storage stuff that were not working for me and were simply accumulating dust. After the floor's been cleaned and mopped, I sprayed my room with a sanitizer to make sure the unseen and unwanted stuff are taken care of as well.

The day after that, on the last day of my general cleaning, I replaced my sheets with new ones and made a few rearrangements in my desk. I felt so relieved to see my room clean from the inside out. No more hidden stuff waiting to be unmasked after a few years. I have more space and less things inside my cabinets. Indeed, less is more. I've let go of the old things that have long been neglected, thing that were just accumulating dust and space. I breath in the new air of my room, fresh and conducive for new ideas. The new challenge now is to keep my room as it is.

My teddy bear Nice in my new sheets


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao