The Widow's Offering - A Gospel Reflection

Today's gospel is one of my favorite readings and is reminiscent of my Catholic school education.

Gospel: Lk 21:1-4 -
     Jesus looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury of the temple. He also saw a poor widow, who dropped in two small coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow put in more than all of them. For all of them gave an offering from their plenty; but she, out of her poverty, gave all she had to live on.”

The story of the widow teaches us about generosity in proportions. Rich men were in the temple offering more in terms of monetary value while the poor widow offers perhaps the smallest amount of them all. However, Jesus points out that the widow has given more in terms of spiritual value than all of them for she has given all she had in order to live on.

My Christian Life Education book depicts her carrying a child while humbly offering the two coins. She could have used it to buy food or other basic needs for her child. But she chose to offer what remained with her and surrendered her fate to the Lord. Truly, God recognizes those who have given everything they have, those who have offered themselves to the Lord.

"Lord, thank You for all the blessings You have given me. I offer You all I have, my life and my possessions. Amen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao