Love is a Constant Choice

Being in love is one of the best feelings in the world.

If you haven't been in love, or haven't had a real relationship before, you might not be able to relate to this post. Then I suggest you move on to the next blog.

Anyway, I have been in a relationship for seven months now. It is a relatively young relationship. It has experienced a lot of first time moments, a few ups and downs and a couple of wonderful travels. I am quite excited for the adventures that are yet to come.

On the other hand, I have friends who are or have been in long term relationships who would say to me that I should enjoy this stage while it lasts. They say that this is the 'honeymoon' stage of a relationship, one that could last for a year or more, depending on how fast the relationship matures. After which, the feeling of longing to be with each other begins to wane. Cracks would sometimes seep through the relationship. If not addressed properly, it could lead to serious relationship damages or break-up.  And while it is true that most relationships go through such cycle, I just don't find it comforting to hear such pessimistic and preemptive things.

I am not new when it comes to relationships, nor is my partner. Some past experiences have left some scars and lessons to learn from. Each previous relationship began beautifully. It started with many hopes and possibilities. Some ended miserably while others had its proper closure. What we learned is that no relationship is the same or perfect. Not every dream is feasible or compatible. But we try hard, or maybe not hard enough, to work things out before we finally decide that it's over.

As we begin a new relationship, we bring with us the lessons we've learned from the previous ones. We become wiser when it comes to expectations and decisions. We learn to take greater risks while preparing for contingencies. We also learn to be more understanding, mature and loving.

And that is where I am right now. I may not be the wisest, but I do bring with me all the mistakes and lessons I've learned from the past. I remember the sadness that once loomed over my life. I remember the tears and emotional rehab I had to go through. They all taught me to be more considerate, not only to my partner, but also to myself. It taught me to be more open, patient and caring. It taught me to be more consistent in communication and to always choose love over pride.

Relationship cycles may be inevitable but they can be managed to a less damaging level. One doesn't have to think that being cold or impatient with the other is a normal thing when you're already 5-7 years into the relationship. When love is constant, you are able to grow into a better person. You are able to find ways to maintain the warmth of your relationship. You are able to overcome all problems or differences. You are able to look after each other and never let the cracks seep through.

I am in love and it is one of the best feelings in the world. I will hold on to it no matter what. I know this time will be different. Because after all that I've been through, love will always be my constant choice.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao