Cooking for Yourself

It's been a while since I started living on my own. Some people say cooking for just yourself is not worth the hassle. I detest that. It just takes a little creativity, precise estimations and patience to feed yourself a home cooked meal without being guilty of throwing away the excess food the next day.

Creativity gives you the motivation to prepare and cook something unique and satisfying. Of course, there will be trial and errors along the way. Precise estimations is just about knowing how much you want to consume. You know you don't eat much during breakfast so why did you cook so many pancakes? Finally, patience is important because preparation and cooking takes a bit time and effort - rice or pasta have specific waiting times, defrosting meat should be done an hour before, searing can take time and so on and so forth.

In my few months of experience living alone in a condo, here are some practical cooking-for-yourself points I learned:

1. Budget rice wisely - with rice being our staple food, it feels like a crime to waste any cooked rice. I've learned that a cup of rice will be more than enough for me during breakfast. I make sure that I take the extra with me to the office for lunch. If there's only one meal, I should only cook half a cup.

2. Don't complicate your spices - or you can say don't overspice. Sure, a lot a spices can mean a lot of good flavors. But this means a lot of preparation and cleaning up after. I don't use redundant spices because sometimes you won't be able to appreciate the flavor/aroma each spice is carrying. Sometimes, even the good combination of salt and pepper will do the trick!

3. Variety - having a variety of things to cook helps me enjoy cooking. It's exciting how I can give myself a healthy and unique meal rather than eat at a restaurant or fastfood.


Will be sharing my quick condo cooked meals that doesn't need a lot of time and effort. I'm excited! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barangay, Police and NBI Clearances in Davao City

Getting a Health Certificate in Davao City

#KaonSerye: Best Japanese Food in Davao